Down Under

I created this blog to help me as I go through IVF. I feel quite isolated and have found other blogs very helpful. I need somewhere to vent and ramble on, whilst I'm probed and prodded down under.

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Will Power (Not)

Yesterday was a bad day. I went to work for my parents and then after work went to the hairdressers. According to my card the last time I went was in March to have my hair coloured. My natural colour is mouse, which is not too bad as I'm 40 and there is no sign of grey. This is the same with my dad and I remember my Nana having mouse and no grey either. Any way an SMS comes in from one of the hen's as she is leaving hospital my SIL goes in and has a baby boy. All I can think of is how wonderful for them they get to have babies together and I should be part of their club, I would have been 7 months pregnant. I panic and ring J and some how manage to keep it together, sit through the hairdressers and get home. Walk in the door and have a massive nervy B. Tell J he is better off without me because I'm a negative bitch and can't feel happy for them as I'm focusing on my loss and lack of. I bawl uncontrollably for one hour in fetal position. Tell him that there is too much pain and suffering in the world and I can't see the point any longer. I tell him he is one of the lucky ones because he can keep going. I can't even watch the news at the moment without feeling sad. After the dramatics I felt much better. J reminded me that I have hormones coursing through my body and I hadn't slept properly for 4 nights because of period pains and a headache.

Today it was my Nephew's birthday. In the morning I quickly went to Fatland (the nearby shopping centre, so named as the odd occasion that I go people seem to walk around stuffing hot chips and other junk food in their faces). I went into a baby clothing store, at first everything was aok, I got some gorgeous clothes for my SIL's new baby. But this is weird I get to the counter and start to pay and the girl asks if I want their catalogue mailed to me. I politely decline but spend the next few minutes biting back tears and willing her to hurry up. WTF? Is it because I probably will never need their fucking catalogue? Oh no wait, I probably will as everyone around me gets knocked up in 5 seconds flat. God could you imagine that turning up every month along with the BFN?

Came home recovered slightly and went to my nephew's birthday. So cuuutte. He had a pirate theme. He loved the collection of plastic animals I got him. However, it was all too much and I said to J, I need to have a couple of reds. So I did. I had two over the 3 hours and it numbed the pain. My ute also demanded a piece of birthday cake, chocolate and white chocolate mud cake, so I gave in to it. Also gave my cousin, who just turned 39, my Dr's card as she is TTC and it's not happening. J said afterwards why did you do that, she will go and it will work and we will still be left behind. We base this on my SIL's sister (3 years TTC and various IUI's and Gift, with another DR, they switched to mine when I got pregnant and now are pregnant with twins).


The reds more or less worked as we went to the hospital afterwards and see my SIL and her baby. Although I couldn't hold him and blinked back tears when I first saw him. He looked so tiny and perfect. I tried to get in close to smell him, but my sense of smell is terrible and it was no use. On the way out, I started weeping again. I said to J we seriously need to discuss plan B, that is a life without having children. Neither of us want to adopt, it's basically our own biological children or none. This may sound harsh, but that's what we have decided and the only alternative we feel we can go with. J broke my heart because he said that it was him who was the dud and I started crying again. I told him that I love him so much and I'm so blessed to be married to him. So that was my weekend, a familiar pattern. Have my nervy B's, so I can resemble a relatively normal human being, looking after other people's children during the week. Now I just have to get through a mass hens visit to F's new baby after work on Monday. God IF totally does my head in.

PS: The clinic, God bless them, allowed me to get my blood test on Saturday, as I had to get into the inner city for work on Saturday and there is not much traffic. I was due for the blood test Monday and it saved me having to go through peak hour traffic.

7 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Meg, I am glad that you had wine and chocolate because if it helps even one iota in your pain at the moment, it is worth it. You are one brave woman in dealing with all the kids and babies in your life.

I hear you on the not-adopting thing as that is our position too. Not really just because I don't want to but because we are also too old to start the process now!

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

Why is it so hard. It is a difficult one because do you avoid people in yoru life with kids? When I was first gettimg sober I used to avoid situations where there was alcohol or at the very least, I would have an escape plan. I don't think I can really do that with friends with babies and kids. I don't want to be around them though.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Sorry you had a rough weekend, I hope you feel better having gotten all that emotion out. I would not have been brave enough to be around all of those babies and children, a remarkable feat considering.

 
At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm someone who dropped out of a family party today because I couldn't stand the idea, so I'm right there with you. Good for you for getting through it. But don't be afraid to take time off if you need to.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Bittermama said...

Oh, Meg. I'm so sorry. And I echo the other comments that you are one extremely brave woman for going to the hospital and the birthday party. I can completely relate to the hospital visit. I sobbed uncontrollably for a solid hour after visiting my SIL and her baby girl in the hospital.

What are the plans for the FET?

I'll be thinking lots of soothing thoughts for you in the mean time and sending virtual wine and chocolate your way.

 
At 6:34 PM, Blogger Drew said...

Oh mate I am so sorry to hear about your experience at the hairdressers.....I must tell you that I am same - I cannot be happy for people who pregnant. But who can blame us! Matey, give yourself a break and you are already a very brave woman to endure IVF. Not everyone can put themselves through IVF. You are a star already and don't let anybody else make you feel otherwise.

I also had a similar experience at Pumpkin Patch last year. I was asked if I want to be on their catalog mailing list. I think I snorted. My husband smiled and declined for me. I walked out thinking how rude for them to ask ME to be on their mailing list!!!!

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger LL said...

Man, that was one tough weekend. I'm sorry that you had all that shite to go theough. Last weekend, a friend asked me if we were having any luck (we're secret IVFers)... so I laughed and said "oh not yet, ha ha"...and she says, very off the cuff "well, some things just aren't meant to happen". I wanted to leap across the table and rip her face off... mole!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home