Down Under

I created this blog to help me as I go through IVF. I feel quite isolated and have found other blogs very helpful. I need somewhere to vent and ramble on, whilst I'm probed and prodded down under.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

This sums things up beautifully

I always look forward to picking up a copy of the support newsletter from my IVF clinic. I haven't joined the mailing list, some how I just can't bring myself to sign up. Luckily they have copies of it in the waiting rooms and you can just grab one on an appointment. The one that came out a few months ago had a great quote in it. I thought I would share it as some of my good friends read my blog and I don't think I always express myself that well in words.

"While a woman is actively undergoing treatment, or even in the spells between cycles, the desire to get pregnant becomes the central focus. The experience of treatment becomes a paradox. One can hardly bear to be in treatment because it necessitates risks, and entails the possibility of failure. Conversely, being off treatment is equally unbearable because there is no hope of pregnancy. At times, we cannot live with treatment and we cannot live without it. The significant factor is that treatment and pregnancy are uppermost in our consciousness, they pervade our being." ('Patient Stories, personal experience of IVF', published by IVF Friends Inc.)

I would actually go on to add that IF tinges everything in my life with sadness, anger, frustration, grieving and desperation.

I had the scan on Monday and asked my Dr if there was anything else I could do. I told him I cut out alcohol, coffee, chocolate during FETs. I asked him about baby aspirin, it seems to be popular in the US. He said it wasn't a good idea and may even be harmful. It's just so frustrating and annoying. There has to be something else I can do for implantation.

4 Comments:

At 2:05 AM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

You are right. IF tinges everything. Everything I do is overshadowed by the OF. If I shop, I wonder," What's the point. This is meaningless". I am surrounded by kids at work and I dread hearing news of pregnancies. I feel like I am living a half-life.

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Meg, try not to beat yourself up about things. You will just make yourself feel worse. I say let loose and have some chocolate in the upcoming 2WW. Maybe that is just what your uterus needs ;)

 
At 3:07 AM, Blogger Donna said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog. That quote was brilliant. Even now that I've stopped treatment, IF still pervades my thoughts and at times overwhelms me. I beat myself up for not trying IVF and now it's too late. There really is no way off this island, is there?

 
At 3:53 AM, Blogger DeadBug said...

What a perfect quote; that sums it up exactly.

Hoping that this cycle is the one for you.

--Bugs

 

Post a Comment

<< Home