Down Under

I created this blog to help me as I go through IVF. I feel quite isolated and have found other blogs very helpful. I need somewhere to vent and ramble on, whilst I'm probed and prodded down under.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Medicare

I like many Aussies undergoing IVF treatments you are probably angry, upset and pissed off about Tony Abbott's proposed changes to Medicare. Although he claims this will save the government money, I've only seen $7 million quoted. This is very small in the scheme of things. I e-mailed Tony Abbott the following:


Dear Tony Abbott,
I am angry and disappointed about your
proposed changes to IVF under Medicare. IVF is an expensive,
invasive,stressful and exhausting procedure. I did not choose to
undergo this treatment on some whim. My husband and I desperately want
to conceive a child or children. He has been diagnosed with male
factor that isn't curable, and our only option is IVF. The only way we
can afford treatment at present is to use my wage and the Medicare
partial funding of it has taken some of the sting out of the cost. We
have, however, spent thousands on treatments.

If IVF cycles are limited you are disadvantaging us, as with each
delay time is against us. Despite what the public think IVF doesn't
usually work the first time and it may take a number of cycles before
the Dr can establish the best protocol for a patient. In other words
it is not an exact science. Even if it doesn't work for a couple at
least they have had the chance.

I'm betting that like me most of us have worked for many years and
paid taxes during that time. Perhaps like me going to the doctor, let
alone the hospital, was a very rare experience, until beginning
infertility treatment. However, I have always been a strong supporter
of our health care system and know how lucky we are to have it, this
is especially brought home to me when I have traveled in countries
such as the US.

Recent statistics have indicated that 1 in 10 babies are conceived
using IVF and related techniques. These people all vote and there was
nothing said about this before the 2004 election.

Please reconsider, until you have walked in my shoes or any one else's
struggling with infertility, then you have no idea of the damage that
it does. IVF offers us some hope at least.
Your sincerely,
MC

What I politely neglected to say was that I think he is influenced by his conservative Catholic agenda and his personal objection to IVF. I also neglected to tell him that I think he is the "C" word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home